Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Making the Band

Today I woke up and I just didn't feel like going to work. And that's ok. I had a great day, which included Friends, Regis & Kelly, and that Saved by the Bell episode where they sleep over in the mall. I made some calls I needed to make (its official- my mp3 player is dead), I took a nap, and I didn't change out of my pajamas until 2. It was awesome.

Then I took advantage of a free 3-day membership at the New York Sports Club at 96th and 3rd Avenue. I felt like Diddy should be showing up to make sure I was sweating hard enough. (Making the Band, the show on MTV, reference) It was very nice. I used the weight machines, the eliptical (which had a connected tv which kept turning itself off..) I swam a bunch of laps (with a borrowed/mandatory shower cap) and got complimented on my excellent butterfly form. thankyouverymuch. Of course I saw some boobs, cause I mean, what NYC woman's locker room would be complete without a free peep show? And, exhausted and sore, walked back to the subway station through the lovely Yorkville- which is not quite Upper East, but its closest relative. Brownstones! Cute stores. Kids getting off school. A very cute area. I went into my favorite ghetto supermarket chain, Associated, got some cheap buys, then headed back. Despite my wet hair and gym attire, I still heard kisses being blown. sick.

After getting off the subway (oh. I mean "the train"), I heard singing and I figured it was just a performer, but didn't see him. I heard him more as I was leaving the station and again out on the street. It was a black guy listening to music, singing his heart out. He was so soul. He had it in him and couldn't hold it in. His eyes were closed as he was walking down the street, feeling the music. No one could complain because he was too good. People smiled when they saw him and I smiled back. Some girls clapped for him as he kept walking west along 110th. "He wants to be on American Idol!" said a beautiful Latina woman. I told her he'd been singing since he was on the subway and she laughed. A boy, who commented on him earlier saying "He's having a good day. He's in love" added "We'll vote him off tomorrow" We all laughed and I shared my first true bonding session with the neighbors.

I got chills, and was reminded once again of the guys from the show walking across the George Washington Bridge in the freezing cold singing their hearts out. Music. I looove it.



Don't cut me Diddy. I want to make the band.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.