Friday, July 20, 2007

I am Rachel Green in Central Perk Hell

So the plan was always this: Move to New York, get a serving job to sustain myself until I eventually get a real job. Well, the getting a serving job wasn't as easy as I was hoping it would be, so I found other means. Babysitting and doing promotions for a music marketing company. Then I found on Craigslist a restaurant/ coffeeshop that was hiring. I was hired.

Wednesday was my first day. I also had to babysit that morning for 5.5 hours. Am I overbooking myself? I just need enough money to buy milk and ice cream, and the occasional drink or water ice. I went in, nervous, because I was told that I was going to be the only server there that night. The ONLY server on my first night? What kind of shit is that? Considering I can't even stand the smell of coffee, I had no idea what the difference between a cappuccino or a latte or frappe, etc was, let alone how to make them! I had 2 training sessions, both leaving me feeling uneasy. I researched and wrote down how to make the stuff, but I was still def not prepared for what the night would bring..

The staff consisted of: me, a cook, and a dishwasher from Burkina Fasso who spoke like 4.5 words of English. It started out fine. It was calm and there was an assistant manager there to answer my questions. But then she left, and the people started coming and coming.

I had to make their stupid coffee drinks, take their orders, ring up their orders and the to-go orders, take out their food, get them more drinks... People kept coming. The computer system stopped accepting credit cards and had to be restarted while 2 tables waited to pay. I had a list of drinks I still had to make. The cook was delivering food to the tables for me and taking orders. Thank god for her!!!!!!!!!! She helped me soo much. More and more people kept coming. I was getting sooo stressed. How could you NOT have a manager there? Why would you put someone who was brandnew on without someone to help/answer questions. Pure ridiculousness. I wasn't even making a lot of money. A lot of people weren't even ordering food, just stupid coffee drinks. You don't tip $5 on a $3 cup of coffee.... ughhhhh.

The night was winding down, I was cleaning up and we were waiting for a manager to come and close the place down. We called the owner who said to call the 2 other managers. They didn't answer. It's late, I'm tired, and I really am starting to get nervous about walking home this late. More phone calls, more waiting. I stole a brownie for payment. Finally someone comes. She's pissed at the other managers, and gives me money for a taxi home. thankgod.

I work brunch on Sunday next. Apparently it gets crazy, but I'm thinking it will be more actual food then people just coming in for a drink. Lets hope. Lets hope for cash tips, not credit ones I'll get in the form of a paycheck a week later. At least I won't be by myself. I need a real job.



Smelly cat, SMELLY CAT
What are they feeding you?
Smelly cat, smelly cat
Its not your fault...................

No comments: