Thursday, June 21, 2007

Don't be the Tourist, be the *Attraction*

In my searching for things happening in the city, I came across this Times Square Summer Solstice celebration thing. Free yoga class in the middle Times Square? I HAD to do it.


I got to the class which was being held between 43rd and 44th, Broadway and 7th Ave- right in the center of the chaos that is Times Square. We set up on the huge median between lanes of traffic, which was covered in fake turf. I set down my pseudo yoga mat (ahem..beach towel) and just stared at the scenery from my centrally located seated view of Times Square. Flashing lights. Sirens. ABC studio. Some crazy promotion where people were running on tredmills on a huge screen. Tourists were already flocking, staring at us and wondering what the hell we were doing. Can I blame them?


The music was pounding, the yoga was fast and intense. But it was awesome. Taxis drove by, honking at us. People yelled and whistled from bikes and trucks. Tourists and maybe some curious New Yorkers flocked to the median, just staring. A New York Sightseeing bus drove by, the passengers armed with their cameras, and with a story to take back home to Kentucky. "You'll never believe what I saw...!" Photographers. Videographers. Police. Security. We were supposed to be blocking out everything around us- the ultimate challenge. But hell, I never take yoga seriously anyways.



I was mid-triangle pose when I grabbed my camera and joined the tourists. This was just too bizarre and unreal not to document.



Afterwards there were articles in the NY Times, CBS News, and even the Boston Globe. Probably on TV too.





I did yoga in the middle of Times Square. Now, can you say that?

No comments: