The Upper (upper) West Side is all that a NYC neighborhood should be. It's bustling in places, but surrounded by a residential calmness. Broadway runs through it. Street cafes, shops, super markets. Central Park, Morningside Park, Riverside Park. Moms with babies, pseudo intellectual grad school students with backpacks and NY Time's Best Sellers, men selling jewelry and cheap sunglasses on a table.
It's about 30% ghetto, but 70% classy.
Kinda like me.
I guess thats why I like it here.
Yesterday was my first full day, and I spent the beginning of it exploring the neighborhood whilst finding Central Park. Despite my surburbanity (Websters..a new word?), I managed to find it pretty well, but then again, I guess its kinda hard to miss a gigantic park 5 blocks away. I'll leave the getting lost for another time.
On my way I walked past the giant church I saw on my first day here. I asked the doorman in front of another building if it was a catholic church and if it was famous or something. He laughed. Turns out its its the largest Gothic Cathedral in the world- less than a block from me. St. John the Divine Cathedral. And like 20 steps to the west is the famous-from-Seinfeld restuarant, Tom's Restaurant (which I didn't know until we were inside eating and the incessant tourists taking pics outside.)

110th & Central Park West. I wandered around the park past giant scapes of grass, a rock looking like it was on the verge of falling over. I spotted water, but couldn't figure out to get down there, so I climbed over some fences then became trapped behind more fences and had to climb over onto a bench. People saw me. I don't know if a city girl is supposed to do that. BUT THAT'S OK. I'M FROM DELAWARE.

I saw more water. Some geese. Some kids playing soccer. A baseball field. I walked home a different way, the more ghetto way. It was the Puerto Rican Parade on Sunday, and I saw many flags. I walked past many projects and thought to myself, if you're poor, why would you even try to live in the most expensive city? But I guess this is all they know. I saw a woman selling sneakers out of a van. A man selling books, who was asleep. I got catcalled by 2 old Cuban or Puerto Rican men playing music outside the projects. I went into a dollar store with a Caribbean man working and bought a pizza cutter. I bought cherries and peaches for cheaper than at home from a grocery store where Spanish is spoken más que inglés.
Today I applied to some jobs (why I'm here- must. not. forget.) and actually have an interview set up for tomorrow. OK. A LITTLE TOO FAST. I had dinner then went wandering around the hood. I walked north, towards Harlem (street cred), and past many beautiful and old buildings- most likely owned by Columbia. I walked west towards Riverside Park, which is lined by the West Side Highway and the Hudson River. Increasingly shady as the sun went down, caused by the dark canopy of trees. And then I walked home and on my way home I felt like I was in Argentina again. Buenos Aires, when I lived there January of 2005. A big city. So much to see. New people. New places. Excitement. Overwhelmed.
Although it's been a little difficult being away from home, the tears will dry.
I don't know if I could do this all my life, but for now, i'm doing just fine.
Living and learning.
For now I will go watch tv on the channels I still do not know and wake up tomorrow for a whole new day.
It's about 30% ghetto, but 70% classy.
Kinda like me.
I guess thats why I like it here.
Yesterday was my first full day, and I spent the beginning of it exploring the neighborhood whilst finding Central Park. Despite my surburbanity (Websters..a new word?), I managed to find it pretty well, but then again, I guess its kinda hard to miss a gigantic park 5 blocks away. I'll leave the getting lost for another time.
110th & Central Park West. I wandered around the park past giant scapes of grass, a rock looking like it was on the verge of falling over. I spotted water, but couldn't figure out to get down there, so I climbed over some fences then became trapped behind more fences and had to climb over onto a bench. People saw me. I don't know if a city girl is supposed to do that. BUT THAT'S OK. I'M FROM DELAWARE.
I saw more water. Some geese. Some kids playing soccer. A baseball field. I walked home a different way, the more ghetto way. It was the Puerto Rican Parade on Sunday, and I saw many flags. I walked past many projects and thought to myself, if you're poor, why would you even try to live in the most expensive city? But I guess this is all they know. I saw a woman selling sneakers out of a van. A man selling books, who was asleep. I got catcalled by 2 old Cuban or Puerto Rican men playing music outside the projects. I went into a dollar store with a Caribbean man working and bought a pizza cutter. I bought cherries and peaches for cheaper than at home from a grocery store where Spanish is spoken más que inglés.
Today I applied to some jobs (why I'm here- must. not. forget.) and actually have an interview set up for tomorrow. OK. A LITTLE TOO FAST. I had dinner then went wandering around the hood. I walked north, towards Harlem (street cred), and past many beautiful and old buildings- most likely owned by Columbia. I walked west towards Riverside Park, which is lined by the West Side Highway and the Hudson River. Increasingly shady as the sun went down, caused by the dark canopy of trees. And then I walked home and on my way home I felt like I was in Argentina again. Buenos Aires, when I lived there January of 2005. A big city. So much to see. New people. New places. Excitement. Overwhelmed.
Although it's been a little difficult being away from home, the tears will dry.
I don't know if I could do this all my life, but for now, i'm doing just fine.
Living and learning.
For now I will go watch tv on the channels I still do not know and wake up tomorrow for a whole new day.


3 comments:
Yay for you! And I wish I had been there while all of this was happening. Not necessarily with you per say, cause I imagine it would have been much funnier watching you climb over fences from afar. But, either way you're too much fun. So I will visit soon. See you Friday, I hope! :D
Oops. My punctuation was terrible. I hope you'll forgive me.
http://www.markbattypublisher.com/jsp/buytramadol/#1003 tramadol cost - dosage of tramadol for dogs
Post a Comment