Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Hi Mom! I'm on MTV!

New York City is the media capital of the world. Everything is centered here, which is why I have centered myself here.

Last night, a band I have liked for a couple years (but have never seen play), CARTEL, was playing a free show on the Hudson River at the Chelsea Piers. They are the Band in a Bubble, which featured several episodes on MTV chronicling their 20-day lockdown in the bubble-shaped building where they ate, slept, and recorded their new album.

Normally, I would have been sitting at home watching this show on MTV, wishing I could be a part of it all, but there is no more sitting at home..


It was downpouring as I got off the A to 14th Street and I was standing in line outside of the pier with 15 year olds swarming. I decided to get out of line and go to the front to find this Lee guy. Since I am on the CMJ mailing list (because I volunteered for the Music Marathon in Oct.), I was told to ask for Lee in order to get to the front of the stage) Well, let's just say I know how to work it and got in front of all the kids and was directed towards the front of the stage. I may not be quite VIP yet, but I'm certainly a VIP-in-progress. (I went to the left.)


Cartel played some old stuff that I recognized and also some new songs. They sounded really good live. It was really cool to see the huge MTV platformed cameras, to see Blaire, the VJ from MTV who hosted the show (whose friends from MTV were behind me), and to be a part of a live broadcast where they did countdowns to air time and made you scream louder.


























This is what is all about. This is what I want to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

although there is no walmart in ny. you can feel better about the fact that there is a walmart advertisement. for all the peeps in missouri and iowa watching the show.

Anonymous said...

Who are you? and yes, I saw those commercials and felt ripped off!